Cleanse and detox are two terms that are well-known these days -Many take part in cleansing regimens annually or practice daily detox habits such as drinking lemon water or organic vegetable juices. While the actual term ‘detox’ may be an overall misleading/incorrect term, which indeed – it is – as you are never able to fully ‘detoxify’ your body from all toxic matter.
These practices, however, that are known to BE cleansing or detoxing, can have a lot of benefits, keeping in mind that it is still physically impossible for your body to be ‘squeaky clean’.
Taking the stress away from your digestive system by nourishing your body with whole pure foods, drinking more water, getting more sleep, eliminating caffeine, alcohol and toxic habits, are all examples of positive and beneficial cleaning/detox practices which may decrease your overall toxic load.
This is why after completing a cleanse, most people experience an increase in energy, clear skin, elimination of bloating, improved digestion, better sleep, a vibrant mind and much more.
Some ways you can detox daily include:
- Drinking warm lemon water upon rising.
- Eating organic when possible, including cold-pressed vegetable juices.
- Eliminating trigger foods: wheat, cow dairy, refined sugar, inflammatory fats, processed and packaged foods.
- Switching to natural personal care products.
- Dry brushing.
- Taking a detox bath with Epsom salts, Himalayan salts or alka bath.
- Getting in optimal water intake.
- Being mindful of caffeine intake.
- Keeping alcohol for an occasion.
Daily detox practices like this may be beneficial in decreasing your overall toxic load so that you can thrive & be vibrant every day!
Dark Arts Elixir
What You Need:
- 4 cups filtered water (I use reverse osmosis with trace mineral drops)
- 1/3-1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (more or less to taste, I like more)
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup (Grade B or No.2)
- 1 teaspoon (about 3-4 capsules) activated charcoal (available in powder or capsules)
- Pinch of Himalayan salt
- Juice your fresh lemons using a citrus juicer – this handheld juicer will maximize your lemon juice yield and make your citrus juicing life way easier. Add your fresh lemon juice to a pitcher.
- If you’re working with activated charcoal that comes in capsules, like this – gently squeeze and twist the capsule to open it, and carefully pour all of the contents into your pitcher with the L juice. Activated charcoal can be messy, so be mindful!
- Add the rest of your ingredients to the pitcher, then whisk well to combine and refrigerate evenly.
- Enjoy on an empty stomach, 1-hour before a meal or before bed. You will have to stir the mixture again as the charcoal likes to settle at the top/bottom.
- Portion out servings into sealable mason jars for convenience (optional).
- Lasts 5-days when refrigerated.